Reports to: Development Director Status: Non-Exempt
Hours: 40 hrs./wk.
Blanchet House of Hospitality is an equal opportunity employer. We value, honor and promote diversity in our employment practices. Minorities encouraged to apply.
Qualified applicants must submit a current resume and portfolio to be considered for this position. Applicants may submit a web destination or PDF file for their portfolio. In addition, please submit a cover letter detailing how you would work to grow the Blanchet House audience and potential donor base. Submit by email to Jeseca Dawson at email@example.com
Date Open: Friday August 25, 2017 Date Closed: Tuesday, September 12, 2017
Blanchet House of Hospitality is a non-profit social service agency whose mission is to feed, clothe, and shelter the homeless. We operate a Transitional Living Program where we assist men in recovery to self-sufficiency through active intervention in homelessness. Blanchet House offers a variety of services to a diverse population, such as meal services, counseling for drug and alcohol addiction, employment services, housing, and rural setting 12-step/peer support programming. Blanchet House of Hospitality takes pride in providing a safe, healthy, and productive environment for employees, guests, volunteers, and donors alike. For more information, visit www.blanchethouse.org
Since our beginnings in 1952, the Blanchet House of Hospitality offers food, shelter and aid to those in need of a safe place to be nourished and restored. We facilitate the transformation of each life we touch with compassion and dignity.
The Blanchet House of Hospitality expects all employees to uphold and model these organizational values: Excellence, Integrity, Diversity, Respect, Compassion, and Patience.
The Marketing/Communications/PR Manager strives to champion the Blanchet House of Hospitality both internally and externally. Their job is to increase awareness of and bring positive attention to the Blanchet House with the goal of building appreciation and support for the mission. This position will work closely with the Development Director to strategically drive the nonprofit’s marketing and fundraising efforts, directly impacting external engagement in the Blanchet House brand. We achieve this by outlining the economic and social impact of our services to the general community, telling the stories of our accomplished guests, volunteers, staff, board, and supporters over a variety of communications platforms.
The Marketing/Communications/PR Manager’s primary responsibility is to promote and support the organization’s public image through:
- Strategic marketing and branding activities
- Media and public relations
- Reputation development/management and crisis communications
- Management of the creation and production on all organizational materials, such as quarterly newsletters, event invitations/advertising, program pamphlets, fact sheets, and development brochures
- Promotion of our mission through public relations and advertising on a variety of communications channels, specifically including TV, Radio, Print, Web
Additional Responsibilities Include:
- Develop a short and long term marketing plan including timeline and budget
- Conduct market research and work to refine and streamline Blanchet message and brand.
- Establish and maintain standards for articulating the Blanchet House mission, vision, core values, and strategic goals
- Generate and disseminate accurate information about the organization in a timely fashion to the public
- Manage social media and web presence to increase reputation and brand recognition
- Provide advice and support to the executive team on communications strategies
- Share information internally to build community and morale
- Manage and adhere to an approved communications budget
- Work diligently to contribute in a positive way to the organizational culture, helping to maintain a positive, friendly, mission-focused atmosphere
- Comply with BHH policies and procedures
- Take initiative, in an appropriate way and including beyond regular duties, to ensure the Blanchet House of Hospitality is as effective and efficient as possible in meeting its mission.
- Establish the Blanchet House of Hospitality brand footprint and distinct characteristics
Management and Leadership Responsibilities:
- Participate in regular management, leadership, and committee meetings as requested by the Development Director.
- Serve as a leader at all times and maintain guest confidentiality while conducting BHH business internally and externally
- Interact at all times in a respectful, friendly way with all BHH stakeholders, including guests, residents, donors, volunteers, partners and other staff members
Essential Skills and Capabilities:
- Must demonstrate initiative, strategic and creative thinking, leadership and judgment related to marketing, advertising and public relations for the organization.
- Must have strong administrative skills, be able to organize and maintain a significant number of projects with multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Must have the ability to develop and create the marketing material necessary to properly promote the Blanchet House.
- Must show careful attention to detail and be able to work independently and collaboratively in a team-oriented environment
- Must have strong written and oral communication skills.
- Must have ability to work effectively with a diverse group of colleagues, board members, volunteers, and program guests.
- Must also have the ability to maintain effective working relationships with all personnel in a team environment.
- Be able to exercise high level of confidentiality and discretion.
- Learn to optimize donor database (SALSA CRM and Engage) for effective and targeted marketing efforts.
- Must have at minimum, Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications, Business or related field of study. Will accept any equivalent combination of education, experience, or training
- Minimum 3-5 years of successful professional marketing, communications, or social media management experience
- Proficiency in the following technology software including: Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point, WordPress, Hootsuite or similar Social Media Management system (to maintain Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn)
- Proficiency in digital photography and video production, including editing.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite – Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
Work Environment [For Portland Location]
- Setting: Office environment, men’s residential program environment, and occasionally other environments such as for meetings in the community and at the Blanchet Farm
- Travel: Occasional travel to the Blanchet Farm in Carlton, Oregon.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.